There are three new cases of Covid-19 in managed isolation since yesterday, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield says.
Dr Bloomfield was speaking at the first of what Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said would be the first of a series of regular updates on Covid-19 vaccines.
Hipkins announced the government had formally approved the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for use in New Zealand.
Yesterday the Ministry of Health reported two new cases in managed isolation.
Neither of yesterday’s cases were connected to managed isolation at the Pullman Hotel.
One of the new cases was in the same travel bubble as the case reported on Sunday who tested positive for Covid-19 while in hospital in Auckland for a non Covid-related condition.
As a close contact they had already moved to an Auckland quarantine facility.
The ministry said Auckland DHB had assured New Zealanders that the city’s hospitals have robust protocols in place to care for people with suspected or confirmed Covid-19 to protect other patients, visitors and staff.
Hospitals in Auckland were safe to visit, it said.
Meanwhile, one of the main managed isolation administration teams has been described as a “shambles” by a former employee who came from a temp agency and claimed she had minimal training.
The former MIQ worker told RNZ it was such a poorly organised and “toxic” work environment that a whole tranche of emergency allocation applications was accidentally left unanswered for weeks.
Yesterday, MIQ nurses insisted they were sometimes working around the clock, despite Hipkins saying there was no evidence of that.
More to come…