Six new cases of Covid-19 have been reported today in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facilities.
In the latest Covid-19 update from the Ministry of Health since Sunday, it said 16 previously reported cases had now recovered, bringing the total number of active cases in New Zealand to 61.
The total number of confirmed cases is 1830. The total number of tests processed by laboratories to date to 1,419,361.
There are no new cases in the community.
Of the six new cases:
- One case arrived on 2 January from the United Kingdom via Qatar and Australia. This person tested positive on day 0/1 of routine testing and is in the Auckland quarantine facility.
- One case arrived on 31 December from the United States of America. This person tested positive during on day 3 and is in a Christchurch quarantine facility.
- One case arrived on 29 December from the United Kingdom via the United Arab Emirates and tested positive at day six. This person is in the Auckland quarantine facility.
- One case arrived on 27 December from Switzerland via the United Arab Emirates and tested positive at day six. This person is in the Auckland quarantine facility.
- One case arrived on 22 December from South Africa via Qatar. This person tested positive at routine testing around day 12 and is in the Auckland quarantine facility.
- One case arrived on 19 December from India via the United Arab Emirates. This person was a close contact of a confirmed case and tested positive at day 15. They are in the Auckland quarantine facility.
While routine testing occurs on day three and 12 for returnees in MIQ, the ministry explained there are circumstances in which some may get additional tests on other days too.
For example, if they are symptomatic, a potential contact of a case, or travelling within a travel bubble of a confirmed case.
In the previous update, the ministry reported on the first cases of the new strain of the virus in MIQ in the country.
Epidemiologist Michael Baker has warned that the situation across the world may get worse due to the highly transmissible nature of the variant.
The ministry’s next update is planned for 1pm on 7 January.
Ministry urges New Zealanders to continue using Covid tracer app
The ministry said it had noticed a notable drop-off in people using the app, and reminded New Zealanders to keep scanning QR codes and turn on Bluetooth functionality
“As the Covid-19 pandemic continues around the globe, we need to remain vigilant so we can continue to enjoy the conditions which we are lucky enough to be living under today.
“Use the app, stay home if you are unwell, maintain stringent hygiene practices, including washing and drying your hands and cough or sneeze into your elbow.
“It is especially important to use the app when you’re on holiday because you may not remember all the locations you have visited. Keep your phone handy to make signing in quick and easy.”
The NZ COVID Tracer app now has 2,429,400 registered users.
Poster scans have reached 147,878,633 and users have created 5,968,002 manual diary entries.
Turning on Bluetooth functionality allows users to receive an alert if they have been near another app user who tests positive for Covid-19.
- If you have symptoms of the coronavirus, call the NZ Covid-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5453 (+64 9 358 5453 for international SIMs) or call your GP – don’t show up at a medical centre